Playing as Commander

Get your BF4 on!

Moderator: Admin forum access

Playing as Commander

Postby KcMsterpce » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 am

I just tried it tonight. I had an... interesting time with it. I am on my tablet right now so I don't want to type 5000 words right now, but does anyone have advice and/or thoughts and opinions on playing as Commander?

I like that I can now try to get a few points here and there while on-the-go. I have my tablet so I can play anywhere I have wifi. yaaay!

Edit: Back home, I'll add a few thoughts.
First of all, I like just having something to do with BF4 if I feel like being away from home but still don't want to talk to anyone. I had about 6 rounds tonight, two of which were 30 and 40 minutes long. It was a bit taxing playing as Commander when the rounds last that long.
Also, I play on a Nexus 7, and it's obvious that it's optimized for a 10 inch screen. I might have to pull out my stylus again to make more pinpoint accurate highlights to each squad and drag over to attack points.
I guess I did fairly well for the most part. Three or four times I was against another commander, and only once did I end up not being the top commander. That was in a match that was halfway through.

I get especially frustrated when squads go rogue and don't pay attention to my orders and follow them. It was an obvious detriment to the overall performance of our side, and I got angry and wanted to punish them. But I can't.
I like being able to use UAVs often, and it seemed like the squads that were listening to me appreciated my input.
Also, I don't have a mic set up and I wish a few times that I could directly talk to the squads. I wish I coiuld say "hey, there seems to be two full squads to your West" or something like that. Then again, I play on mostly Japanese and Korean servers, so communication might not be so great. If I'm on a Chinese server, I might be able to get my point across in their language.

With that said, I don't think I'd just sit at home, on my PC, as a Commander. I would rather be a part of the battle on the ground. However, it's a great option to have an app that allows me to play online when I'm away from home. It's more like an RTS, obviously, except that sometimes the squads don't do exactly what you ask them to.

STRATEGY:
- I don't really use the Proxy Attack that much. I figured it would make most sense if I did it right after deploying my Gunship. That way, there would be a delay for the other team's Commander to notify units where it's headed. Is this a proper strategy?
- I deploy Resupply boxes in areas that are obviously heavy with fighting and highly populated by my team's players. I choose a spot near where they obviously have control, yet far enough to safely utilize it.
- EMP UAVs... what exactly does it do? Does it shield the other Commander from the units in that 25m AoE? Also, when would be the best time to use it?
I was thinking maybe something like the following would be good: Deploy GUNSHIP, then PROXY ATTACK, and about 9 seconds later, EMP UAV the area in which I plan to have the bomber attack. Is this a bad strategy?

I will look more into how to play as Commander, but for tonight, it was a fun way to get another 18,000 points in two hours while away from my computer.
KcMsterpce
I r teh K1ng 0f Sp4Mm1nG aow (aka MJ)!!

Re: Playing as Commander

Postby Spectre1024 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:58 pm

My experience with this is limited to Operation Locker and I just played from my PC. There are very limited assets available for that map but I had my hands full already. It didn't bother me when squads went rogue, I just change their objectives to whatever it looks like they're going after, in order to score some points. If they have a chance of succeeding, I'll spend an upgrade ability on them.

I had to look upthe EMP UAV, originally I had hoped it would interfere with spawn beacons but I guess not. It just blocks visibility by the enemy commander and also prevents the enemy solders' "spot" function from working. Seems like they also protect an area against enemy Cruise Missiles and Gunships. More info here:
http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/EMP_UAV
Spectre1024
Server Admin

Re: Playing as Commander

Postby KcMsterpce » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:09 am

I usually save the EMP UAV for when cruise missiles are deployed. If it's a map that doesn't have them, then I use it in heavily populated areas where the enemy might have an advantage knowing allies' location.
However, not much movement typically occurs within 30 seconds - or however long it lasts - but there is still a chance to get some EMP assist points when activated.

Playing as Commander for over 40 minutes on a tablet - and trying to do well - takes a lot of effort. I hate when rounds last that long.
KcMsterpce
I r teh K1ng 0f Sp4Mm1nG aow (aka MJ)!!

Return to Battlefield 4