[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Art of War • View topic - RO2 First impressions thread

RO2 First impressions thread

Moderator: Admin forum access

RO2 First impressions thread

Postby WildSpoon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 am

Ok, I may as well start this one up. To early to really "review" its MP state atm but this is how i feel after night one.

The UI while in game shootin bitches is good and clean, easy to see what you need to see without being in your face. However, when you want to change class / spawn points / whatever it often bugs out and is kinda hard to really see what you want to see. At least for me / on the first few tries it was.

Gameplay wise, there is a definate "learning curve" present just because of some of the unique mechanics involved. Ultimately its still a shooter, point your thing at the other guy and blasty blasty (cabbie just got hard) but the unique cover / leanout system takes some getting used to as well as how movement "feels". Dont get me wrong its smoothe but things like right after you sprint theres a delay in when your fully mobile turn wise (which makes sense from the realism stand point) and what not. Shooting bullets wise, even on the "normal" mode it only takes a couple, and most of the rifles seem capable of a one shot kill. So ya, its normal mode is like most games hardcore. That being said there is also a "realism" mode that i have not tried so do not know what it brings besides even less HUD.

Server browser is kind of shit at the moment just in repsonce but again that seems true of ALL fps games at launch. Functionally tho its standard and was easy to find servers my steam friends were on and easy to favorite shit. Recently played servers worked as well, which is all more than i can say for other games months after launch. (BC2's is still fucky for example)

Overall tho, if you are into SPEEEEED in your fps.. jumpin around like a maniac and shit, you may not like this game. It has a more deliberate pace. I personally love both styles, i grew up on the quake / doom games and still love that run and gun speed style, but i also love the tactical / slower speed stuff. This game kinda falls in the middle. If you dig the slower pace tho, this game will satisfy you for sure.

Graphics, decent honestly. With everything on HIGH or ULTRA (didnt personally notice much diff between the two perhaps others have) it looks pretty enough. The sun rays and post processing as your dude gets "scared" / fucked with is really well done honestly. Some of the maps and shit look amazing but there are definitely the odd textures that look very meh close up. It is Unreal engine based for sure, but looks heavily modified. No its not BF3, but i think it looks better than blops did personally.

Oh, and on day 1 it definitely needs optimizations and a patch or 3, but it already works better than blops did for me months after launch, for what its worth.

There ya go. Touch me.
WildSpoon
U mad Bro?

Re: RO2 First impressions thread

Postby WildSpoon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:40 am

wtf i clicked the Video games Forum when i made this post lol. Fail. Can an admin move this thread?

Edit: Hey thanks whoever moved that. Theres an HJ in it for you (not from me tho, ask Heybone, he'll do anything for a burger right now)
WildSpoon
U mad Bro?

Postby BroHamBone -_- » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 pm

I didnt buy the game, but i watched some HD vids on youtube. HD w/ sniper rifle. The dood gets quick scopes like in Day of Defeat/Source. And watching the other video of the rifleman,...... 10 bucks for DoD source doesnt sound to bad........... I cant drive a tank, but i can save 30 bucks. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The Art of War. A community of brotherly love. Wait... who am i kidding. Go F*CK yourself! Have a wonderful day!
BroHamBone -_-
Server Admin

Postby fallenphoenix » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 am

fallenphoenix
Uncle Touchy's Favorite

Postby BroHamBone -_- » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:23 am

The Art of War. A community of brotherly love. Wait... who am i kidding. Go F*CK yourself! Have a wonderful day!
BroHamBone -_-
Server Admin

Postby HEYBONE » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:44 am

"If It's 2 in the afternoon and you ain't high, go fuck yourself" ~
HEYBONE
I r teh K1ng 0f Sp4Mm1nG aow (aka MJ)!!

Postby BroHamBone -_- » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:53 am

Lol make sure you change the video quality to 1080p
BroHamBone -_-
Server Admin

Postby HEYBONE » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 am

HEYBONE

Postby Junglist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Disable crossfire/sli?

Junglist
Member of Joey's Insatiable Hookers

Postby WildSpoon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:32 pm

patch some time today.. from the official forums:

First Patch Coming Today
Everyone,

I wanted to make everyone aware first off that we're hard at work addressing the issues that have been discovered since the launch. Additionally, we'll be releasing the first patch for the game today in just a little while. This patch will address among other things:

- fixing the day 1 unlocks not working
- spawn menu looping bug
- various crash fixes
- decreased AI MG accuracy for vehicle AI

To be quite frank with you it has taken us a little longer than usual to get an update out post launch. Without going into the boring technical details, the patching functionality built into UE3 is heavily geared toward consoles. So we've struggled a bit working out how to properly do patches on the PC, without requiring a massive download. Anyone in the beta remembers that every update for the beta was fairly large, and this is the reason why. We had thought we had all of this worked out before the final release, but that was not the case.

So rather than saddle you all with a multi-gig download for a small code patch, we've been slaving away on the patching system to get this issue resolved. Fortunately, it looks like we've finally cracked this issue, and will be able to deliver code patches to you all now without requiring overly large downloads.

So once again, you will see an update today, and many more to come. Thank you for your patience while we work diligently to get these issues resolved for you.
WildSpoon
U mad Bro?

Postby Whopper0311 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:01 pm

I really like the game. I just like the way it feels. I dunno how to describe it, but it reminds me of like some kind of SciFi movie(this is gonna be kinda a stretch, stay with me.) So like you're being cautious, slicing the pie, clearing corners, staying frosty....The you see a dude run between two buildings but you cant take the shot because he is too far away and you know that you don't have enough room to lead him between the buildings. So you have to like stalk him and try and wait for that perfect shot because you have a bolt action and you don't wanna give up your position if you miss. It just reminds me of those alien movies were the dude is walking like in a dim lit hallway or some shit and like the aliens are like darting across and the nigga only gets like a glimpse of them. This game makes my PTSD go nuts......in a good way.

Complaints
-BF:BC2 had this for me. Certain walls and shit are not visible at a distance but if you zoom or get closer BAM there is a wall there or something.

-Tanks, I like them mixed in with infantry maps. But I dont like straight tank maps. I dunno the learning curve for the tanks are fucking massive. On the plus side my first tank kill was Cabbie.

-I dont have my "Day 1" unlocks. I'm not as mad as some people on the forums. I don't hate TWI for it, shit happens. But nigga its a recession, gimme mah fucking shit.

-I'm a pretty good shot with a sniper rifle. But something about the sniper rifles in this game fucks me up. I think its the scope and how you can still have peripheral vision. And also the fact that (I at least) can't see where my shots land so I cant adjust. I haven't tried putting my gun to manual bolting yet to see if that helps.

-A minor bug that I have noticed that sometimes your gun wont fire on the first mouse click.
-=H.N.I.C. Of....nothing I quit.=-
USMC 2/7 0311 29 Palms

Whopper0311
I'm a Big Pussy With No Game Whatsoever

Postby BroHamBone -_- » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 pm

It is alright when playing w/ people in vent. I am glad keith allowed me to play w/ his account. I would still rather pay 10 bucks for DoD source.
BroHamBone -_-
Server Admin

Postby WildSpoon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 pm

WildSpoon
U mad Bro?

Postby HEYBONE » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:14 pm

I have little instances of fun.... here and there, but mostly get killed randomly and never see the guy. I'm sure once I figure out the maps and get better guns? then I'll have a better time, possibly. However after playing RO2 and jumping right inot DoD Source, I like dod source better.... BUT that is more run and gun so that makes sense, right?
HEYBONE

Postby WildSpoon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 pm

makes perfect sense, like i said in my first post this game is NOT run and gun friendly, and thats your fav play style. Didnt think you'd lock on honestly but oh well.

As for the better guns, i can already one shot most ppl with the bolt actions you start with so i dont know how much "better" things will get. maybe better SMG's or something i dunno. I use a pistol most times when im wandering around close quarters then the bolt action when im out in the open areas. Cack can attest to my pistol kills, he shit his pants on one of em lol.
WildSpoon
U mad Bro?

Next

Return to Red Orchestra 2