Changes coming to L4D2

Zombie survivalists in all games can meet here.

Moderator: Admin forum access

Changes coming to L4D2

Postby fallenphoenix » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 pm

The full article is on the Left 4 Dead 2 news page.

The Highlights:

Incaps
- Charger now receives 300 points for any Survivor that is insta-killed.
The death charge is a great tactic, and a very powerful technique, but given that the focus of the changes seems to be the prevalence of rage quits, rewarding instant kills kinda seems counter-intuitive. Maybe the idea is to legitimize a tactic that some players may see as "cheap" or an exploit.

- Charger now receives 100 points for any Survivor that is insta-incapped by a charge.
Same as above, I personally like the idea, but I'm not sure how it would be received by the ragers on the receiving end.

- Any infected that causes a Survivor to stumble into a "ledge hang" situation will receive 50 points.
I'm hoping booms will count towards this bonus. Thinking about that custom map with the collapsing scaffolding next to the train bridge, are there any official maps where a Smoker or Jockey can lead a player off the edge and get an instant death?

Friendly Fire
- Bullets that first pass through an infected character before striking a Survivor are now ignored as friendly fire.
I love this change, and personally I think this is how it should have been from the very beginning. Despite what the movies would have you believe, bullets tend to stay inside the torso rather than pass straight through. There's a lot of stuff in a human torso to slow down and stop a bullet, unless the survivors are using penetrator rounds (ok, possibly from scavenged military weapons), and even then intermediate rounds like 5.56 (M16/M4/etc.) would tend to fragment rather than blow right through. I have officially taken realism way too far within the confines of a zombie survival game.

The Tank
- Tanks go into a stasis when they spawn and leave stasis when the human player takes over.
I'll have to see this in action to form an opinion on it. Right now I'm not sure what sort of impact the change may have on gameplay.

- Tanks do not attack when they are in stasis.
Anyone else get a mental image of a Tank encased in Carbonite?

- Tanks in stasis are invisible but still show a glow to the infected team.
Sure, why not

- Tanks in stasis cannot be set on fire.
Makes sense

I can see the changes to the Tank, depending on actual implementation, turning the Tank into an instant "Game Over" where the objective is to rush towards the end and wrack up as many points as possible, rather than the current situation where the survivors generally try to set the Tank on fire and kill it completely before moving on. In experienced hands, the Tank is already deadly, so I really don't want to see it made any more powerful than it already is. Those who suck at the tank, like myself usually, just need practice. Maybe there should be some way to reliably play as the Tank in order to get a little more experience.
fallenphoenix
Uncle Touchy's Favorite

Re: Changes coming to L4D2

Postby pigula » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm happy now I get more points when I pull off a charge and hit everyone on the team.
pigula
mod squad member

Postby Wreckage » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Yeah I agree with most all of these changes but it will do nothing to stop the rage quit phenom that happens.

- W
Wreckage
I Fucking Hate You All

Postby Yakmandango » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:24 pm

Another change is coming... Yak. Prepare to see my incompetence.
"Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of void, but out of chaos." --Mary Shelly
Yakmandango
King of teh Flesh Bots

Postby Caboose » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:42 am

Yakmandango wrote:Another change is coming... Yak. Prepare to see my incompetence.

ROFL Niiiice!! This will be awesomeness. Haha
6:26 PM - Caboose: Maaaannnn....I can remember a time when I didn't think you were a bitch....That seems like so long ago.
6:26 PM - |aE|Whopper0311: lol same here
Caboose
Keeper of the Holy Hammer

Return to Zombies!!!!