Arma 2 DayZ MoD

Zombie survivalists in all games can meet here.

Moderator: Admin forum access

Arma 2 DayZ MoD

Postby MeTaL » Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 am

Hey guys, I was looking around at some arma 2 stuff. A mod that has been around for a bit called DayZ, it is a zombie mod for Arma2.

http://www.dayzmod.com/

anyway, here is a link.
"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
MeTaL
I Post So Wreck Won't Hate Me

Re: Arma 2 DayZ MoD

Postby banshee » Tue May 15, 2012 9:01 am

looks pretty interesting.
banshee
The Scrambler!

Postby Caboose » Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 pm

I'd be down to check this out. haha
6:26 PM - Caboose: Maaaannnn....I can remember a time when I didn't think you were a bitch....That seems like so long ago.
6:26 PM - |aE|Whopper0311: lol same here
Caboose
Keeper of the Holy Hammer

Postby fallenphoenix » Wed May 23, 2012 2:33 pm

If you haven't bought it yet, Amazon has ArmA II: Combined Operations through their digital download service for $15, which is half what it is on Steam.

http://www.amazon.com/Meridian4-40365ne ... 777&sr=8-1

EDIT: It's now unavailable. Maybe a short term sale, but even at $30 through Steam, it's well worth it.
fallenphoenix
Uncle Touchy's Favorite

Postby fallenphoenix » Sat May 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Holy shit guys, I had a freaking amazing time in this game last night.

Me and a buddy were on a European server with at least half of the players speaking Russian (some knew English as well), which was ok for me since I definitely need more practice reading/speaking the language, but my friend knows absolutely no Russian, so he was kinda uneasy seeing all the side chat. Anyway, we're roaming the countryside looking for supplies, me with a CZ550 (.308 hunting rifle with a decent scope) and him with a Winchester lever action shotgun (long range/short range coverage). Well we're about to go check out this big long building that looked like a factory when he sees movement near the door, and I scope in to check it out. We see two players moving into the building, so we hit the dirt and watch them. They search the building, come back out and go around the back. I suggest we move around to a better vantage point so we can observe them if they come around the other side of the town. They eventually come out around where we expected them, and my friend is worried because one of them is marked as a bandit*, but I don't have a clear shot, I haven't shot the CZ before, and they're moving perpendicular to us, so we just observe. They stop under some trees in cover, and the survivor logs and the bandit continues away from us, out of sight.

I suggest we check out the area, in case they left some loot, so I cover my friend as he moves down the hill to scout. As we're about to move off, he calls out that he's taking fire and hits the dirt. I'm still up on the hill with my rifle, so I start looking around for the shooter. I see him peeking out from behind a broken wall, but he ducks back into cover. I keep my sights on his last location, while my buddy moves around a bit to see the opposite side of the building. A minute or so later, he takes more fire, and I swing my rifle over and see a flash of movement behind a tree, but still have no shot. I tell him to keep the guy busy, and I combat run over to a stone fence where I have a better angle on the shooter. I bring the scope up to my eye, and there's our guy, prone and aiming in the direction of my friend. I line up the shot, pull the trigger, and miss high. I forgot that I was zeroed for 200m, so I quickly click it down to 100m, settle the chevron right on the guy's left eye, and pull the trigger one more time. This whole time my heart is pounding, adrenaline is rushing through my veins, and I'm trying to keep calm and stop this guy before my buddy gets shot or killed. In this game, getting shot and wounded can stick with you for a long time, even if you still have a lot of blood (as close to a health analog as this game has) a broken bone and no meds can really ruin your day. We've already amassed some half decent equipment and weapons, so a respawn near the coast (about 4-5 klicks away) with nothing but the basics is not an attractive option at this point. Luckily, my final adjusted shot hits the shooter just below the eye and kills him with one shot.

We both rush over to check for loot (there's a bug in the mod right now where people can disconnect immediately and their body/loot disappears), and my heart sinks when I see the message that the guy has disconnected. Luckily, this server either has a fix or the bug is not universal, because his corpse and gear stayed in front of us. I managed to secure a much larger backpack, some ammo, and several doses of various meds, while my friend got ammo for his weapon and enough food/soda to keep us going for a few more days.

Honestly, I've never had such an exciting and tense experience in any game I've ever played. It was like the consequences of missing the shot were so much more than in almost any other game. Yeah, we'd be able to respawn, but all that gear we'd collected, and all the time we'd spent moving inland where the best gear can be found (and fewer newbs looking to play CoD) would have been lost, and even though it was just a few hours, it meant much more than that. It took me and my friend two days to figure out where the hell we were (the game covers 225km square) and meet up. I didn't even mention the experience we had meeting two other survivors headed the opposite direction, who luckily spoke English (the direct comm actually worked this time) and didn't shoot us on sight.

*Currently, there is a mechanism called "humanity" that starts at 2500 and drops if you kill a survivor with positive humanity. If you go into negative humanity, you get a special bandit skin to identify you as such to other players. It's a silly mechanism for a game focused on hyper-realism, so it's being removed soon. Plus, if you're attacked by a newb and kill him, you still get the humanity hit, so it doesn't work as it originally was intended anyway.
fallenphoenix
Uncle Touchy's Favorite

Postby Spectre1024 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Wow, talk about hyper-realism. That sounds pretty cool, almost like an RPG, except the learning curve also seems like it'd be pretty steep.
Spectre1024
Server Admin

Postby banshee » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Picked up the expansion... Downloading the mod. I want to check this thing out
banshee
The Scrambler!

Postby fallenphoenix » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:43 pm

I haven't played this in a while, mainly due to some (IMO) game breaking glitches, like losing gear when you try to loot a bag. Reading patch notes and talking to friends that have played recently, it seems a lot of those problems have been resolved or at least made less prevalent, so I may have to patch it up and give it another go.
fallenphoenix
Uncle Touchy's Favorite

Postby banshee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

ive had zombies warp through walls on me...
banshee
The Scrambler!

Postby fallenphoenix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:24 am

banshee wrote:ive had zombies warp through walls on me...

Imagine how annoying that was before zombies used line of sight :?
fallenphoenix
Uncle Touchy's Favorite

Postby MURcarnage » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 am

Any of you guys have a regular server you visit? Preferably in the US. All I have is a hatchet. :(
MURcarnage
Member of Joey's Insatiable Hookers

Postby MURcarnage » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:11 pm

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/Gmap/beta/gmap.html

A very helpful map for all you Zombie Survivalists out there. It may not be faithful, but there it is!
MURcarnage
Member of Joey's Insatiable Hookers

Postby pigula » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:31 am

I got arma 2 combined just for dayz
pigula
mod squad member

Postby wlcrm » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:05 am

This game is why PC gaming is awesome. The install process is bizarre and convoluted. The mod is a buggy, unreliable, and generally quirky alpha that is decidedly noob unfriendly. But its fun as hell. Especially when you surprise random fuckers with a hatchet.

I made a Day Z channel in Vent, Spartan, Carn, Banshee (briefly), and I have been running around and looting the shit out of Chernarus. Maybe someday we'll have a helicopter. There's a couple of servers that we'll hop around on.

For starters, theres http://dayzwiki.com/
Mara Jade wrote:Tonight I had to use the molester voice b/c wife went to bed.
wlcrm
Don't touch me there

Postby hellbound » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:10 pm

all be on tomorrow ! just bought combined operations today hopefully it finishes in time !
hellbound
U mad Bro?

Next

Return to Zombies!!!!